BRUSSELS SPROUT GRATIN WITH DATES AND HABANERO JACK CHEESE
- 1 1/2 Pounds of brussels sprouts
- 3 TBSP of Ghee
- 20 Dates (pitted & thinly sliced)
- 3 TBSP of unbleached flour
- 2 cups of whole milk (room temp)
- 1/2 cup of grated habanero jack cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Place your prepped brussels sprouts into a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook for 7 minutes, then place in an ice bath to shock the sprouts and stop the cooking process.
- Once cooled, slice the brussels sprouts in half on the bias (long ways).
- Next, Prep your dates. Take out the pits and thinly slice.
- Now, grate both cheeses and set aside until needed.
- Place your halved brussels sprouts into a baking dish.
- To make your sauce, place the flour and ghee into a medium sized pot and melt together over medium heat.
- Use a whisk to get out all the lumps.
- Once your flour and ghee are combined slowly whisk in the milk. Let cook and thicken for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in a heavy pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now, pour your sauce over the brussels sprouts, cover evenly.
- Next, mix in your dates.
- Lastly top off with the two grated cheeses, cover completely in one even layer.
- Place in a preheated oven of 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until brown and bubbling.
- Serve and ENJOY!